7.12.10

A GOOD DIFFERENT



























I often find myself on the edge of horrendous discussions when people mention the word style. My entering statement in such a discussion is often "what is your definition of style?" It seems, as with a whole bunch of other important or non-important issues our definitions, or lack of definitions, or even lack of being patient enough to listen to the other party, before pulling their head of, keeps getting people into trouble. I, for instance, as mentioned, react when people use the word style. Often in a negative way. This does not mean that I wouldn't be thrilled if someone told me just that: " Zoe, you have great style". The question that then occurs (after the blushing smile has disappear from my face, that is) is: "How would you describe the word style ?"

I on one hand have numerous of synonyms for the word style: individuality, proud, unique, daring, you (as in being yourself) and different. By this I don't mean that you have to wear your sweater on your feet, and your skirt as a hat, I simply mean that there has to be something about you. a quirkiness, an attitude, something that makes you stand out.

If the person giving me the compliment would answer my question (How do you define style?) as a person closely following the latest trends, or in other words: a trend slave, a person that is always wearing the newest, hottest garments - just of the catwalk, in the exact same way, my smile would fade faster than the Caribbean sunset. Of course you have people, a few, that wear the newest design of the catwalk, and rock it like no one else: Anna Dello Russo for instance. But don't even try saying she doesn't give the outfits individuality and quirkiness.

I wanted to share this photo with you (taken in Camden Town, London) because it to me represents individual style. Not only of the people in the picture, but as much the place. Since Camden Market opened in 1971 (arts shops to begin with) it has been a sanctuary for individual style, that has blossomed through the last decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment